Since its founding in 1929, the library has provided uninterrupted services to the residents of Aliquippa. Since 1962 it has served as one the 29 District Library Centers for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, offering leadership to the other public libraries in Beaver County.
On November 9, 1926, Mrs. Elisabeth M. Horne wrote to the Woodlawn (PA) Borough Council and offered to erect a library building to meet the needs residents, provided the Borough fund and operate it as a public library. Mrs. Horne was the daughter Benjamin Franklin Jones, Sr., one of the founders of the Jones & Laughlin (J&L) Steel Corporation, the principal employer in Woodlawn, Pennsylvania. The building was to be named in memory of her father.